Sunday, January 26, 2014

A walk down memory lane

A memory lane down the street I lived on for 10 years, nothing's changed, and yet everything's changed.

Delete chat?

The school bus that never seems to move is still parked there. The pedestrian bridge crossing to the opposite road's train station still stands solid and strong. The fence built by authorities for "safety purposes" is yet again partially teared down. Jalan 12 of Tasik Selatan hasn't changed much.

*Cancel*

While waiting for the ex-neighbour (who bought the house and currently lives there) to retrieve our letters, I look at the floor's tile patterns and the blue stairs I used to roam around on. Except for those, everything's changed. I don't recognize that couch.

Delete chat?

I see two people walking out from Shen Yang's house. Uni classmates, I suppose. At 8, I thought Shen Yang's name was Shan Yang (directly translated as "mountain goat" in Mandarin). Spending 6 months together in home tuition and living 3 houses away, I still don't know what his name is.

*Cancel*

I see the road leading to the nearby park, where Sesame had her first outdoor activity off the leash chasing birds. She thought she could fly before landing onto the ground half a second later. She was barely one, and now she's turning 4.

Delete chat?

The letters turned out a huge stack; probably hundreds of 'em, all kept since 2012. I hadn't been home for 2 years? I hadn't looked back for...2 years?

*Cancel*

"How I wished I still lived here," the sentimental side whispers. "But Tasik Selatan's not my home anymore."

Delete chat?

The past was really nice and comforting, but the future has been promising; and if life's not about moving on, then I don't know what life is about anymore.

*Yes*

No comments: